Sunday, August 7, 2011

Type

Took some pictures of my type today.  I have only one metal typeface - a 24 point that I don't know the same of.  It's a pretty straightforward design.  I have a couple of old type trays and sorted this type into the tray a few weeks ago.  It probably needs a good cleaning too.


And at the Big Flea in Chantilly recently I picked up some scattered wood type - they were selling it by the letter, no complete sets.  It took two evenings to clean it all - there are probably a hundred pieces. Here are some representative examples.


And yesterday I spent a couple of hours setting up a little postcard.  I found some old blank postcards I had, a heavy 140 lb paper made for watercolors (which I never did).  And I bought this old cut on eBay that I couldn't resist - a vintage doctor or chiropractor.

And today I did the printing.




Of course after I printed it I wanted to change the caption, but too late.  Two possibilities that might be an improvement:  "You see Mr. Scott, chiropractors have certain needs..." or "Uncomfortable moments in chiropractic care:  Number 1"

It was hard getting the inking even because the wood type "m" seemed to be a little bit higher in the bed than the metal type so the type around the m like the c in chiropractor and the first set of quotation marks didn't get enough the first couple of tries.  I don't know if the wood "m" works here but I just wanted to use some wood type since I just got it.  Anyway, it was fun.  Except for cleaning the brayer - there's got to be a better way.

2 comments:

  1. That's really hilarious. You've got some of the funniest cuts I've seen. Also, that's interesting that the wood m is higher than the metal... we usually have the opposite problem at Pyramid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm always drawn to the weirder stuff...

    ReplyDelete