Saturday, March 19, 2011

New Press

Here's my new press - a Vandercook 01 proof press, finally out of the crate.  It needs a good cleaning but the cylinder seems to roll fine, although it could us a little oiling.  It's sitting on the floor right now, but I've bought a worktable at the Border's going out of business sale and hopefully I'll have that next week.  I also picked up a display unit ($10!) that I thought would work for setting up type, since it will support a composing stick at an angle.







Now I'll I need is ink, a brayer, composing stick, slugs, quoins, keys, . . .

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I know what a brayer is, and perhaps a slug, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Composing stick is what you use to set up your type before you put it in the press, and quoins and keys you use to lock up the type so it doesn't move - you turn the key to expand the quoin so it makes the furniture and type snug.
    (I already have some furniture.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this specialized vocabulary! Quoins is a great word.

    ReplyDelete